Monday, August 25, 2003

Tabula rasa. One part of me wants to start with a new website - albeit with the same silly name - and another part of me realizes that I will never get back to that giddy 2/3 FRESH records a week life again. There's no way I can start with a blank state because, well, those grooves are there. But then life invariably moves on, new things get in the way of music. So maybe now I only need to have more (uh oh) discipline and slip that record on the turn table instead of pushing (instant repeat) play on the stereo.

So anyway, Tokyo was sumo diet and blade runner all over again. Too many dorayakis and not enough records. But I did manage to find a few LPs (too discipline me into music again, duh): Wild Dub proves to be patchy. I love the Grace Jones rubbing sides with Slits. Although I was never a big fan of the Slits - too much dada skreems - maybe the dubbed out track on this comp will draw me over the line. The rest is mainly studium.

PS You can't imagine how utterly strange James Brown can make you feel when you walk around Shibuya hearing Sex Machine throught the loud speakers.